Tuesday, September 8, 2009

2009 ADT Marathon: DNF

While not something I'm proud of it, intense knee pain necessitated my dropping out of Monday's marathon at mile 19. What triggered it, I dont know, but it felt (and still feels) like I hyper-extended it somehow. The only thing I can think of is that I landed on it wrong on one of the steep downhills in the Air Force Academy stretch of the race.


Still being relatively new to this distant running stuff, I have to think all the races I've run this spring and summer might be catching up with me. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope I can hold together through October and then go into a 3 month carb-loading phase (translate: beer).

One positive note: It appears that my dad just broke the all-time Colorado marathon record for males ages 65-69 with his time of 3:49.10. This months' issue of Colorado Runner magazine listed the record times for all age groups in both the marathon and half marathon distances and the previous State record was 3:50.27. My dad's first marathon ever was in January in Carlsbad, CA and his time was 3:39.xx so he definitely has a faster one in him at altitude! Congrats!

1 comment:

brownie said...

If you would have slowed down at Pb and let me beat you, you woulda been fresh enough to finish this race!