Monday, September 20, 2010

2010 Run Rabbit Run 50 Miler

I endured what was by far my most painful ultra experience to date last Saturday at the 4th Annual Run Rabbit Run 50 mile trail race in Steamboat Springs, CO.
I was fighting a bad cold and flu-like symptoms in the days leading up to the race, and if it wasn't for the financial commitment I'd made to doing it, I wouldn't have even considered racing. I don't feel this one necessarily needs a full report since the numbers pretty much speak for themselves:
  • 102 - My temperature at the race start.
  • 32 - Miles of technical, single-track terrain.
  • 9:21 - My final time.
  • 19th - My final placement.
  • 10+ - Times I vomitted during the race; beginning at mile 12. (I eventually lost track once it became a regular occurance.)
  • 3 - Bowel movements while racing.
  • 2 - Number of times I wiped out.
  • 1 - Number of iPods I broke due to above-mentioned falls.
  • 1 - Beers consumed while on the course. (At mile 38. I wanted to quit and figured a beer would dull the pain and that the carbonation might potentially ease my stomach pain.)
  • 1 - Times I was offered a bowl to smoke to help with my nausea. (I declined.)
Without exagerating, I had to endure more physical suffering at this race than at Leadville, despite it being half the distance. This is a total shame because of how beautiful the scenery was, especially with the aspens changing colors...
All I can say is that I'm glad it's over, and I'm mentally stronger for pushing through it. About 22 miles in I completely stopped caring about my time or placement and just wanted to finish. Period.

I'll gladly go back to tackle this one again next year, but for now I want to get over the crud I'm still suffering through.

Brooks

2 comments:

That's Mr. McGoogly to you! said...

You had a pretty solid run for being so sick. And you aren't the only person I've heard saying that this run was somehow more of a struggle than Leadville. I'm glad you finished and dug deep to do it. It was nice meeting you after the race. See you around.

jay said...

Dude.
Great to meet you prior to the start.
Hope the race helped clean out your aliment. Saw you out there, probably 4 miles ahead of me - with fever, vomiting and movements.
Freaking Hard Core.
J