#1 - Hangovers and other forms of non running physical punishment are great forms of cross training for ultra distance races. The key is to get really good at suffering!!
- Have your friends punch you in the nose at unexpected times.
- After a tequila shot, squirt the lime in your eye.
- Jump out of the hot tub and make snow angels.
- Drink epicac (sp?) to get used to puking... a lot. Brussel sprouts and excessive amounts of alcohol tend to work also.
- Antagonize wild animals as much as possible, especially if they look rabid.
- Drop full soup cans on your bare toes to get your feet used to the what they'll feel like after 12+ hours of running.
#3 - Keep a shaker of Morton's salt with you on your long runs or races and save the cash on S-Caps or Endurolytes. (A less extreme option is to buy Thermo Tabs from the pharmacy. Less than $10 and they have a lot of sodium and pottasium!)