The taper is on!
With nothing to do this week but geek out about running while not actually doing any running, I'll post my prediction for next weekends big race. This year's field is by far, much less competitive than 2011, with a couple notable exceptions, aka Ian Sharman (RR100 record holder), Karl Meltzer (Mr. Hardrock), and Oswaldo Lopez (2011 Badwater winner).
While fully expecting these guys to decimate the rest of the competition, it still puts me in a position to potentially snag my first top-10 finish at a 100 miler. For whatever reason, I have had relative success at the 50 mile distance, but these 100's still escape me.
With cautious optimism, here's how I predict the race unfolding:
- Ian Sharman; for obvious reasons. Predicted time: 13:12
- HAL KOERNER; last minute entrant and my obvious 2nd place choice. Predicted time: 13:24
- Karl Meltzer; he's a machine with more 100 mile experience than anyone else in the field. Predicted time: 14:14
- Oswaldo Lopez; not too familiar with this guy, but looking at past race times, I could see him running sub-15. Predicted time: 14:55
- Dan Vega; he beat Karl at a fast 100 miler last spring in 15:35. I think he'll be a little quicker here. Predicted time: 15:20
- Liza Howard; I see her continuing her streak of improved 100 miler times. Predicted time: 15:25.
- Tony Clark; he's run sub-17 before, so I expect him to do it again. Predicted time: 15:50
- Brooks Williams; without any other names jumping out at me, I see a spot with my name on it. Predicted time: 16:31
- From here on, it's a crap-shoot...